Through generous grants and contributions, the Mount Baker Council, Boy Scouts of America, can offer assistance to registered youth and adults so they may fully participate in the Scouting program.
Mount Baker Council Opportunity Fund Membership Assistance Program
Opportunity Fund applications must be made using the online form linked at the bottom of this page.
To be eligible, the following guidelines must be met by the youth applicant to qualify for financial assistance for National Boy Scouts of America (BSA) Membership (includes New Member Joining Fee-$25) and Council Activity Fees:
- Currently registered within the Mount Baker Council prior to completing an application.
- Completing a new registration with the Mount Baker Council. A completed PAPER BSA application must be submitted to the council registrar for the Opp Fund application to be reviewed. Note: Online BSA registration through BeAScout forces payment in full and refunds for Opp Fund grants are not possible.
In keeping with the philosophy of “earn your own way”, each youth should help fund a portion of the fee annually. The council also reserves the right to consider the unit’s and Scout’s participation in council-administered fundraising programs as demonstrating a concerted effort to raise these funds. The family and unit are expected to contribute to the cost of the Scouting experience. BSA Membership and Council Activity financial assistance is awarded based primarily on need. The more information provided about the Scout’s particular need, the better.
The Opportunity Fund Membership Assistance application is available online via the Mount Baker Council website. Participants may qualify for up to 90% of National BSA registration fees and up to 90% of the Council Activity Fee, and uniform parts, handbook, and Scout Life magazine. Unit dues are not covered by Opportunity Fund Membership Assistance awards. For consideration for the 2023 program year and the 2024 charter renewal, all membership assistance applications must be submitted by OCTOBER 31ST to allow time for review, allocation, and notification. Access the form using the red application button below, AFTER completing pages 3 and 4 of this worksheet.
- Apply online separately for each Scout needing assistance. All information requested on this WORKSHEET is needed when applying online.
- Assistance will be considered based on need and the youth/unit support of the mission of the Mount Baker Council including participation in Council fundraising.
- For 2023 Membership Assistance Awards & 2024 Charter Renewal, all requests must be submitted online by Oct. 31, 2023. 2024 Membership Assistance for applications not on charter renewal, can be submitted starting November 15, 2023.
All Opportunity Fund Membership Assistance applications submitted on time will be considered based on the financial need of the Scout in relation to the other applications received and available funds. Any Opportunity Fund applications received after the deadline will only be considered if there are funds remaining.
- Your request will be reviewed by council personnel. Opportunity Fund awards and information will be kept confidential.
- After review, the applicant’s family and Unit Leadership will be notified by email of the details of any award.
- The Membership Assistance award is to a specific individual and is not transferable to anyone else.
- Completeness of the information when applying online will help determine membership assistance allocations.
- There are no refunds on unused awards and Membership Assistance awards will not be reimbursed for expenses already paid by the applicant.
Questions? Please email email@example.com or speak to your District Staff
Step 1: The MBC Opportunity Fund Membership Assistance Application Process & Worksheet is available HERE.
Step 2: Once you have completed all the information on the worksheet, click the link below to enter your Membership Assistance Application.