Ordeal Candidates and Parents – Please Read!
You may take great pride in being elected to be a candidate for membership in the Order of the Arrow, the National Honor Society of the Boy Scouts of America! Organized in 1915 to recognize honor campers, the purpose of the Order of the Arrow is to recognize those who best exemplify the Scout Oath and Law in their daily lives and through that recognition cause others to conduct themselves in a way that warrants similar recognition to promote camping, to develop leaders, and to crystallize the Scout habit of helpfulness into a life of purpose and leadership through cheerful service to others.
Both you and your parents/guardians probably have many questions concerning your election, induction, and participation in the Order. We hope this overview will address some of your questions.
Your Complete Induction into the Order of the Arrow
Completing the Ordeal is the first step to completing your induction into the Order of the Arrow. Six months following your Ordeal, you will be eligible to complete your induction experience once all of the Brotherhood requirements are completed.
Now that I am elected, what’s next?
Sikhs Mox Lamonti Lodge holds 2-3 induction weekends per year during which you can complete your Ordeal, up at Fire Mountain Scout Camp. Please visit the Lodge Calendar for the 2023 and 2024 scheduled induction dates.
The Ordeal is the first step in the induction process that is based on the principles of Brotherhood, Cheerfulness and Service. It is an 18 hour process that asks the candidate to reflect on their accomplishments, complete service and look to the future. As with all Scouting events, Induction Weekends are conducted within the guidance of the Scout Oath and Law. No hazing of any kind is allowed nor are any religious beliefs or principles violated. In addition to following all National guidelines, the lodge will be following all COVID Guidelines as well, coordinated with Skagit County.
This process is safeguarded so that mystery can be used to enhance the induction experience. Each of the candidates will be assigned an experienced Elangomat (friend) who you will be in contact with throughout the process. If you have any concerns, please contact Lodge leadership so we can address your concerns.
When you were elected, you should have received an email inviting you to log into to your personal OA Member Portal. Please take some time before your Induction to log in and review the Portal, which includes helpful information about the OA and to prepare you for the Induction.
Transportation is the responsibility of the candidate. As a candidate, you will need to arrive at camp on Friday evening (Thursday evening in August for Summer Camp Induction) and check-in starts at 6:00 PM and ends at 7:30 PM. Plan on eating before you arrive. Please note—if you are under 18 you are not allowed to drive others under 18 to a Scouting overnight camping event.
What do I need for the weekend?
- Official BSA Health Form (parts A and B only) – signed and filled out and any medications you need with dosage instructions – click here. This form will not be returned, but will be kept by the Lodge for future events during the calendar year, then destroyed at the end of the year.
- Mount Baker Council Pre Event Health Screening From – click here
- Your uniform. Bring your field uniform, no merit badge sashes
- Backpack with personal camping gear (no snacks or electronic gear)
- Sleeping bag, sleeping pad, water bottle, a pocket knife, rain gear, work clothes and gloves.
- Fee Payment: Induction fees for 2023 are $80.00. This covers dues for 2023 and 2024, Ordeal sash, lodge flap, OA handbook, meals, and Brotherhood sash (given when completing Brotherhood requirements).
- Money for the trading post following completion of your induction
If you or your parents have any other questions, feel free to contact any of the lodge leadership.